Saturday, May 1, 2010

Lost in Translation

The famous Neil Armstrong "A small step for man, a giant leap for humanity" is traditionally translated into Chinese as "This is a small step for me, but a giant step for humanity", thus inadvertently adding in an element of braggadocio that wasn't really there in the first place.

In related note, a coworker's husband, who is fluent in Hebrew made this point to me. "An eye for an eye" in the Old Testament laws does not literally mean that the aggrieved is given the right to poke out the eyes of the offending party, but that the guilty is obligated to make whole the plaintiff.

So how does that work? In this case they would go to the market and look at the price differentials between a healthy slave (this *was* the olden days) and the price of a slave who is missing one eye. The difference in prices is the amount of civil damage that then owed to the damaged party.

This interpretation makes a lot more sense to me. For one thing, blinding the other party doesn't make you better off in any sense.

2 comments:

meghan said...

I believe his statement was "A small step for a man, a giant leap for mankind."

The "a" in "for a man" was lost in the static, leaving generations of people to puzzle over what "small step for man, giant leap for mankind" could possibly mean. So actually, I think the Chinese statement is pretty close.

Yang said...

Even without the "a" I've always interpreted the "man" as a generic person rather than I, although I do see what you're saying...