Friday, August 6, 2010

Just Another Ho Hum Lunch

So I was at Cactus Cantina for lunch. As was I about to leave, the lady next to me frantically tugged at my arm.

"There's something wrong with my husband."

So I looked at him. He was completely catatonic. He just kind of sat and stared out into space and was completely unresponsive.

His wife was talking to him, shaking his arm, trying to get his attention by waving her hand in front of his eyes. Nothing.

Obviously she was pretty scared at the time. And it *was* kind of scary. This big 62-year-old guy just kind of sitting there and staring off into space. The restaurant called 911.

At this point I noticed that his forehead was covered with sweat, in an air-conditioned restaurant. Because one of our runners in the half-marathon training group experienced similar heat exhaustion last week, I figured that's what happened. I googled up the info on heat exhaustion on my phone and walked her through it. We got him toweled down with cold water and he gradually came to. We also made him drink ice water even though he was not particularly fond of that. I noticed that he had an empty glass of beer on the table- my guess is that beer as a diuretic probably played a role.

Per google, I asked him if he's on any heart/blood pressure medication. He was. So I told his wife it's probably a good idea to tell that to the EMT and stay a day at the hospital just to be safe. I left when the EMT arrived.

My coworker helpfully pointed out that given my ability to get into these kind of trouble and that next Friday falls on the 13th, I should probably log in from home.

1 comment: