NYT on R, the free, open-source alternative to SAS.
Download here.
Regarder Mille mots (2012) [vf] gratuit de qualité hd en ligne, [voir hd] A
Thousand Words (2012) streaming vf (film complet) putlocker, (regarder)
Mille m...
5 years ago
6 comments:
My heart is with Linux and R, but my computers run Windows/UNIX and SAS. Sure, I have R installed, but rarely use it.
This is pretty cool. I might have to dabble in it. But I must keep this on the DL else no girl will ever talk to me again.
huh?
SAS, the standard statistical package, costs about $30,000 a year. R is free. SAS is better optimized to handle large data, but free is free.
It's just another way for us to burnish our uber-nerd creds :-)
It has been less than two months since I made the comment above. I just came home from the first day on my new job... at the SAS institute. The ironies of life!
But surely, R is not free. Nothing is free. The people who developed R, they certainly had to pay rent or mortgages and buy food and clothes and cars. Who was paying them during the time they were working on R? Who pays to maintain and debug R?
Quite likely, these people were paid less than SAS employees are (even if SAS does not pay well compared to most large public companies). Nonetheless, there was some good tax money spent to develop R, as many of these people work at universities.
But come on now. It is good to have both SAS and R. Competition makes for better products. And don't forget to pony up 30k for your SAS licence - no pirated copies please! I want to keep my job and I want to get paid too.
Since Fannie Mae gives me both desktop and server SAS, we are doing more than our parts to keep you SAS going :-)
Post a Comment