Tuesday, October 14, 2008

A New Theory of Everything, No Strings Attached

From TED.com, Garrett Lisi proposes a New Thoery of Everything, without the aid of string theory.



Like the moderator, I think I understand about 2% of what he's trying to say, but what caught my attention is that his theory posits an E8 structure for the universe, and that he publicized his results in November 2007.

8 months prior, what appears to be another E8 structure was decoded, and was done using reams of computing power and an 1,800 year-old mathematical technique called the Chinese Remainder Theorem. Chinese remainder theorem is useful for finding large prime numbers, which is of course why I asked Edson Smith at the Rose Bowl prior to the Fresno State game if his team used it to find the largest known Mersenne Prime to date.

CERN's LHC will either make Lisi a Nobel Laureate within the next 3 years or make him a footnote in history....

No comments: