Monday, December 1, 2008

Random Richard Feynman Anecdote

I don't why I thought of it this morning, but it's a cool story so I'm going to share it- that's what blogs are for right?

Victor Wu, who presently runs the UCI extension program, was a Caltech undergrad when Richard Feynman was still teaching there. He relays how, on the first day of his freshman physics class, Feynman walked into the lecture hall, looked around and asks: "Do you guys have any questions?". Being first day of class, the students aren't particularly read up on things (which apparently is true even for Caltech kids), so of course no one had any questions.

"Okay, see you next week." And he walks out of the lecture hall.

Next week rolls around. Feynman walked into the lecture and did the same thing: "Do you guys have any questions". Half-fearing that the professor would walk out again (we are talking about Caltech kids), a whole flurry of hands went up.

Victor described how Feynman promptly gave one of the best physics lecture he had ever seen in his life. Unconventional and brilliant- that pretty much sums up Feynman's MO.

No comments: