Random job hunting tips
- Don't send your resume in MS Word 2007 .docx format. Most companies won't be able to open it
- My resume is exactly 1 page. If yours is longer than 3 pages, you probably don't need to list the fact that Ms. Jones made you the hall monitor in 5th grade.
- Don't be a afraid to stop and think through your answer. And more importantly, don't be afraid to say "I don't know the answer". I've said that at interviews that I ultimately got offers for.
- Don't BS. Just, don't. And don't exaggerate about your past salary, education, etc. Because they do go over your resume with a fine comb.
- And finally, money will never make you as happy as you think it will. Don't go after a job because of the pay. I've seen too many people going into finance because of the pay and leave broken and bitter because it's not what they want in life.
4 comments:
You are right on so many accounts here. But, I have no clue how you get your resume to exactly one page. Mine is 2, and I can't think of how to make it 1. I'd never make it more than 2 though.
Yang, if my accomplishments only take up 1/2 a page, should I draw a picture on the bottom half of the page?
information about what I did. Additionally, because Fannie Mae is also in the mortgage finance industry, there is no reason for me to tell them what a statistician does: they already know.
When I interviewed with CapitalOne, the head hunter asked me to create a 2-page version, so I did. But I'm actually more partial to my 1 page resume, because it is much more efficient.
Scott, the best ones are always the short ones :-)
For example, S.R.Sidarth's entrance essay for Larry Sabato's poli-sci class at UVA:
"I am Macaca."
Can you think of anything else he needs to add?
Post a Comment