Wednesday, March 18, 2009

We Live In Different Worlds: Part III

Tyson Beckford, speaking on behalf of the impoverished supermodels:
Beckford, host of Bravo's "Make Me a Supermodel," says that when celebs do product ads or grace the cover of fashion magazines, they take jobs away from models.
To recap: the ridiculously super-super-beautiful kindly ask the mere super-super-beautiful to stop taking their jobs.

I guess this recession is worse than I thought...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

you're being a bit snarky aren't you?. But what Tyson is saying is a transformation in the fashion industry has been taking place over the past couple of years.

So while Bradd Pitt already has income from the movies, he's also getting magazine covers and product endorsement deals, thereby displacing models, such as Tyson, who may have jobs only related to the fashion industry, and capping the ceiling on their earning power.

The same goes for women, where magazines like Glamour, Allure and Shape have been increasingly relying on entertainers for the covers. The same for beauty products, who are using celebrities in advertising campaigns, rather than models.

This is a trend happening long before the recession.

Yang said...

I thought I was being snarky, but after mulling it over, it's not as snarky as I thought.

I'm guessing that the fashion industry is a very procyclical industry and the current economic malaise has probably hit it pretty badly.

Which means all those celebrity covers that used to be "Cool, let's go hang out after" is now "hey, you're taking our jobs"

Just a hypothesis.